Library Press Release 5/14/2018
Library Holidays: Monday, May 28, Memorial Day; Wednesday, July 4th Independence Day
The first 7 days of each month are fine-free for books returned in good condition!
Visit www.tinyurl.com/mKofyke for library news. Find us on Facebook @ Cherokee County Public Library!
News and Special Events
- The library will host the Sweet Home: Alabama’s History in Maps exhibit during the months of May and June. Start date to be announced. Sweet Home: Alabama’s History in Maps was created and is provided free-of-charge by the Southern History Department of the Birmingham Public Library. Support for exhibit setup provided by the Alabama Bicentennial Committee.
- Chair Yoga: No time to exercise? Join Linda Abernathy for a 15-minute stretch session! Easy, relaxing, fun and free! Call (256-927-5838), email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit us to sign up.
2nd and 3rd Fridays each month 11:45 a.m.—12:00 p.m. May 18, June 8 &15 …and beyond
- Genealogy Class: meets Mondays, from 9:00 am to 11:00 am. Contact us by phone 256-927-5838,email email@example.com, or visit the library for more information on the next session.
- Summer Reading is almost here! Read books to earn prizes and come to special Friday programs. “Libraries Rock” beginning Friday, June 1 at 10:00 a.m. when Digeridoo Down Under presents “G’Day: Listen to the Outback” See the whole schedule and watch our Summer Reading Trailer on our Cherokee County Public Library Facebook page!
- Green Bag Gardening Lunch Program Third Thursday of the month through November
12:00 P.M. Thursday, May 17: Sensational Succulents with Janice Knight
12:00 P.M. Thursday, June21: Miniature Gardens with Linda McDaniel. (One lucky gardener attending will take a mini-garden home!) Just bring a lunch; We’ll do drinks and dessert!
- Summer Scribbles Drawing Class for ages 10—up. 6 weeks of art fun starts Thursday, June 21 from 1- 2:30 pm! Class size is limited; sign up soon. Supplies needed: 11 x 14 pad, # 2 pencils, erasers.
- Coming up in August: AARP’s Safe Driving Course, Friday, August 24 from 9.00—3:30. Brush up on the rules of the road and possibly qualify for a special discount on your car insurance (check with your agent) Fees: Members $15.00, Non-members $20.00; the class can be audited for free. Sign up required.
- Summer Storytime Tuesdays through June, starting June 5th . Preschool – early elementary age.
Regular Programs and Services
- The Sew Joyful Quilters meet at the library on Thursdays from 10:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
- Reading around Book Club meets the first Tuesday of the month from 12:00-1:00 P.M.
- Car trouble? Here’s the path to a solution: tinyurl.com/mKofyke; Choose the “Links” tab.
- Browse our Genealogy Room for free access to com Library Edition and many print resources.