Library Press Release 5/29/2018
Library Holidays: Monday, May 28, Memorial Day; Wednesday, July 4th Independence Day
The first 7 days of each month are fine-free for books returned in good condition!
Visit www.tinyurl.com/mKofyke for library news. Find us on Facebook @ Cherokee County Public Library!
News and Special Events
- Sweet Home: Alabama’s History in Maps will officially open with a formal ribbon-cutting ceremony on Thursday, May 31 at 9:00 am. The collection is open for viewing in the conference room at the library all day long from May 21—July20. Come and take a look! Sweet Home: Alabama’s History in Maps was created and is provided free-of-charge by the Southern History Department of the Birmingham Public Library. Support for exhibit setup provided by the Alabama Bicentennial Committee.
- Ready to tap those toes? A special talk and performance, Searching for Old-Time Fiddlers in Alabama, will be given on Friday, June 8 at 12:00. Drinks and dessert will be here, so bring your lunch. Dancing shoes optional!
- Chair Yoga: No time to exercise? Join Linda Abernathy for a 15-minute stretch session! Easy, relaxing, fun and free! Call (256-927-5838), email email@example.com, or visit us to sign up.
2nd and 3rd Fridays each month 11:45 a.m.—12:00 p.m. June 8 &15 …and beyond
- . “Libraries Rock” beginning Friday, June 1 at 10:00 a.m. when Digeridoo Down Under presents “G’Day: Listen to the Outback” See the whole schedule and watch our Summer Reading Trailer on our Cherokee County Public Library Facebook page!
- Adult Summer Reading!! Record books to play bingo and win prizes! Pick up your card June 1.
- Summer Storytime Tuesdays through June, starting June 5th . Preschool – early elementary age.
- Summer Scribbles Drawing Class for ages 10—up. 6 weeks of art fun starts Thursday, June 21 from 1- 2:30 pm! Class size is limited; sign up soon. Supplies needed: 11 x 14 pad, # 2 pencils, erasers.
- Green Bag Gardening Lunch Program Third Thursday of the month through November
12:00 P.M. Thursday, June21: Miniature Gardens with Linda McDaniel. (One lucky gardener attending will take a mini-garden home!) Just bring a lunch; We’ll do drinks and dessert!
1:00 PM. Thursday, July 19 Bring Color into the Garden 12 Months of the Year with The Anniston Star’s “Southern Gardner”, Sherry Blanton
- Coming up in August: AARP’s Safe Driving Course, Friday, August 24 from 9.00—3:30. Brush up on the rules of the road and possibly qualify for a special discount on your car insurance (check with your agent) Fees: Members $15.00, Non-members $20.00; the class can be audited for free. Sign up required.
- Genealogy Class: begins on September 4. Tuesdays from 1—3 PM. Sign up requested.
Regular Programs and Services
- The Sew Joyful Quilters meet at the library on Thursdays from 10:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
Reading around Book Club No meeting in June. Regular time: first Tuesdays of the month from 12:00-1: