Library Holidays: Wednesday, July 4th, Independence Day. Fine Free week: 1st 7 Days of each month.
Visit www.tinyurl.com/mKofyke for library news. Find us on Facebook @ Cherokee County Public Library!
News and Special Events
- Sweet Home: Alabama’s History in Maps is open for viewing in the conference room during library hours from May 21—July 19. Come and take a look! Sweet Home: Alabama’s History in Maps was created and is provided free-of-charge by the Southern History Department of the Birmingham Public Library. Support for exhibit setup provided by the Alabama Bicentennial Commission.
- Ready to tap those toes? Joyce Cauthen presents Searching for Old-Time Fiddlers in Alabama, on Friday, June 8 at 12:00. Bring your lunch, we’ve got drinks/dessert. Dancing shoes optional!
- Chair Yoga: No time to exercise? Join Linda Abernathy for a 15-minute stretch session! Easy, relaxing, fun and free! Call (256-927-5838), email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit us to sign up.
2nd and 3rd Fridays each month 11:45 a.m.—12:00 p.m. June 8 &15 …and beyond
- “Libraries Rock” is rockin’ the library on Fridays!! Read to win prizes and meet our special guests!
June 8 at 10:00: “Fiddlers, Banjo Players, and Straw Beaters” with Joyce Cauthen.
June 15 at 10:00: The McWane Center visits with “Sonic Sound
June 22 at 10:00: Born to be Wild! Rockin’ Animals with Animal Tales– Full schedule is on our Facebook page and card catalog www.tinyurl.com/mKofyke.
- Adult Summer Reading!! Record books to play bingo and win prizes! Pick up your card June 1.
- Summer Storytime Tuesdays through June, starting June 5th . Preschool – early elementary age.
- Summer Scribbles Drawing Class for ages 10—up. 6 weeks of art fun starts Thursday, June 21 from 1- 2:30 pm! Class size is limited; sign up soon. Supplies needed: 11 x 14 pad, # 2 pencils, erasers.
- Sew Busy: Intro to Quilting Ages 10-14. Don’t know a needle from a pin? Sew what! Learn what it takes to make a fun quilting project in this class led by our own Sew Joyful Quilters. Space is limited. Call 256-927-5838 or sign up at the library. Thursdays July 12, 19, and 26, 10:00 a.m..—12:00 p.m.
- Green Bag Gardening Lunch Program Third Thursday of the month through November
12:00 P.M. Thursday, June21: Miniature Gardens with Linda McDaniel. (One lucky gardener attending will take a mini-garden home!) Just bring a lunch; We’ll do drinks and dessert!
12:00 PM. Thursday, July 19 Bring Color into the Garden 12 Months of the Year with The Annison Star’s “Southern Gardner”, Sherry Blanton
- Coming up in August: AARP’s Safe Driving Course, Friday, August 24 from 9.00—3:30. Brush up on the rules of the road and possibly qualify for a special discount on your car insurance (check with your agent) Fees: Members $15.00, Non-members $20.00; the class can be audited for free. Sign up required.
- Genealogy Class: begins on September 4. Tuesdays from 1—3 PM. Sign up requested.
The Sew Joyful Quilters meet at the library on Thursdays from 10:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
Reading Around Book Club meets on the first Tuesday of the month.